The Last Days Of The Civil War In Atlanta (12 Photos)
During the late summer and early fall of 1864, the city of Atlanta became the spot for a major battle of the Civil War a the Union Army pushed south from Tennessee.
The two armies clashed in various small and large battles, ultimately leading to the Fall of Atlanta on September 2, 1864.
The following photos capture the lead-up and aftermath of the battle that would ultimately pave the way to the Confederacy’s surrender.
Confederate sappers constructed a number of artillery emplacements covering the avenues of approach to Atlanta. The artillery in this fortification overlooks Peachtree Street in this 1864 photo.
Confederate fortifications around Atlanta, Georgia, in 1864. The wagon and portable darkroom of photographer George N. Barnard is visible in the photograph.
Fort Walker, located in present-day Grant Park, Atlanta, Georgia, with Union troops encamped north of the fort, October, 1864. Photograph by George H. Barnard. Courtesy of US Military Academy Special Collections.
During the mandatory evacuation, locals loaded up their wagons and headed west, 1864
General Sherman’s mandatory evacuation order led to this photograph of the last train leaving Atlanta. With overloaded cars, it will not have enough room for civilians to bring all of their belongings which can be seen littered beside the tracks beside the wagons they left behind and the two chests, 1864
Soldiers on boxcars at railroad depot, 1864
Camp of 2d Massachusetts Infantry on the grounds of the Atlanta, Ga. City Hall, 1864
Sherman’s army destroying rail tracks in Atlanta, 1864
Ruins of Rolling Mill and cars destroyed by rebels on evacuation of Atlanta, Ga., 1864
Atlanta Depot after it was destroyed by Union forces on November 14, 1864.
Shortly after the end of the American Civil War – the city’s railroad roundhouse in ruins. Albumen print, 1866.
Two years after Sherman left Atlanta, the saloon is up and running, the bank still in ruins. “Peachtree Street, c. 1866 George N. Barnard took this photo in the spring of 1866 when he returned to Atlanta to shoot additional scenes.