38 Of The Most Powerful Images That Will Stir Your Soul
These compelling images will pull on your heartstrings.
1. Two children scavenging on a junkyard in Kathmandu, Nepal to live by.
2. A woman’s last moments with her best friend.
3. An Iraqi prisoner of war comforting his son, 2003
4. A mother and her daughter who were attacked with acid by her husband, find comfort in each other’s arms.
5. Harold Whittles reaction as he hears for the first time after a doctor places an earpiece in his ear.
6. A girl in isolation for radiation screening, after the devastating earthquake in Nihonmatsu, Japan, looks at her dog through a window, 2011
7. Little girl handing over water bottles to riot officers during a protest in Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina.
8. A 10-year-old Yemeni girl celebrates after being granted divorce from her abusive adult husband.
11. A World War II veteran feels sentimental at a Victory Day parade in Russia.
12. The joy of a new life
13. Journalists Euna Lee and Laura Ling, who had been arrested in North Korea and sentenced to 12 years of hard labor, are reunited with their families in California after a diplomatic intervention by the U.S government.
14. A mother listens to her deceased son’s heartbeat inside the chest of the woman to whom his heart was donated to.
15. Sons of dead Iranian soldiers 'recapture' the last photo of their fathers together (Iran-Iraq war)
16. The eyes of a Hiroshima nuclear bombing witness, 1963
17. A local woman praying at the MH17 crash site, Donetsk oblast, Ukraine.
18. Public bus passengers try to help out a woman who attempted suicide by slitting her wrist with a fruit knife.
19. A vulture waits patiently for the malnourished child to die, March 1993. This image was dubbed "a photograph that took the photographer’s life" after photographer Kevin Carter committed suicide months after he took the photo.
20. A boy weeping with relief after rescuing his sister from underneath the rubble of their home in Syria, 2014
21. Love is eternal.
22. Good music makes even the most ignorant stop in their paths.
23. A 4-year-old Syrian girl ‘surrenders’ to a photographer who pointed his camera at her. She thought it was a gun.
24. Sunset at mars
25. The Mowgli girl who survived 11 days in the Siberian Forest
26. Pele and English captain Bobby Moore trading jerseys as a sign of mutual respect during a World Cup that had been marred by racism, 1970.
27. A 94-year-old widow receives the remains of her fallen husband, 60 years after his death.
28. "I’ll miss you, dad."
29. A North Korean bidding farewell to his South Korean relative, following a luncheon meeting during inter-Korean temporary family reunions at Mount Kumgang resort on October 31, 2010. 436 South Koreans were allowed to spend three days in North Korea to meet their 97 North Korean relatives, whom they had been separated from since the 1950-53 war.
30. A monk prays for an elderly man who died while waiting for a train in Shanxi Taiyuan, China.
31. Yezidi girl carrying an assault rifle to protect her family against ISIS.
32. The dead body of a child is dug out. The child died during the devastating gas tragedy by Union Carbide in Bhopal, India, 1984.
33. U.S. firefighter, Chris Wagener, after saving 6-year-old Aaliyah Frazier from a burning apartment.
34. An acid burn victim in Pakistan laughs after her eye surgery. Her stalker throw acide at her face after she refused his sexual advances.
35. 100,000 monks gather to pray for a better world.
36. A child, cuddling a kitten, rests in a shelter in Ludian County, China, two days after a 6.1 earthquake destroyed his village.
37. A terminally-ill mother watches her daughter’s first dance over Skype.
38. Blind kids examining a cat for the first time, 1981