60 Unsolved Mysteries That Will Haunt You

By Sophia Maddox | November 20, 2023

Chicago Tylenol Murders 

The 19th and 20th centuries had several events that investigators find baffling, and people worldwide still wonder about them. These events range from unexplained sightings, mysterious disappearances, and unsolved crimes that still leave people puzzled. These mysteries have created several theories and legends that people continue to find fascinating.

In this article, we will examine some of the most popular and mysterious unsolved cases from recent history, such as Bigfoot, Loch Ness Monster, Jack the Ripper, the Phoenix Lights, the O.J. Simpson case, the D.B. Cooper hijacking, the Zodiac Killer, Stonehenge, and the mysterious Wow! Signal. We will go through the theories and evidence uncovered so far and understand why these cases continue to intrigue us. If you love the unknown and enjoy a good mystery, join us on this discovery journey.

test article image
(Getty Images)

In 1982, seven people in the Chicago area tragically died after ingesting Tylenol pills laced with cyanide. The victims, including a 12-year-old girl and members of the same family, had taken the medication and then collapsed and died shortly after. Initially, investigators were baffled, but a Cook County investigator named Nick Pishos noticed that the Janus family’s Tylenol bottle and Mary Kellerman’s bottle had a control number in common: MC2880. Edmund Donoghue, a deputy medical examiner, then discovered that both bottles smelled like bitter almonds, a tell-tale sign of cyanide. The blood tests confirmed that all seven victims had ingested a lethal dose of cyanide. After contacting Johnson & Johnson, Tylenol’s parent company, the manufacturer recalled over 31 million bottles of Tylenol, issued warnings, offered a $100,000 reward for information on the perpetrator, and replaced recalled bottles. The company’s precautions cost over $100,000,000, and the tragedy resulted in the invention of safety seals on medicine bottles that are still in use today. To this day, the perpetrator has not been charged or convicted.

The O.J. Simpson Case

test article image
(getty images)

On June 13, 1994, the bodies of Nicole Brown Simpson and Ronald L. Goldman were found stabbed to death outside of Nicole's townhouse. Nicole was the ex-wife of former football superstar O.J. Simpson, and at the time of the murders, the two were divorced and living in separate residences. The bodies were discovered by neighbors who were led to them by Nicole's dog, which had been barking incessantly.

The timeline of events leading up to the murders is as follows: on June 12, Nicole and her children, along with others, went to the restaurant called Mezzaluna at 6:30 p.m. Later that evening, Ronald Goldman went to the restaurant to pick up Nicole's mother's glasses. Meanwhile, O.J. Simpson and his friend Brian "Kato" Kaelin went to a nearby McDonald's for dinner, returning home at 9:45 p.m. At 10:25 p.m., limo driver Allan Park arrived at O.J.'s home to take him to the airport. At 11 p.m., O.J. left on a red-eye flight, and at 12:10 a.m. the next day, Nicole and Ronald's bodies were found.

During the investigation, a blood-stained glove, a knitted hat, and a bloodied footprint were discovered at the crime scene. Upon landing in Chicago, O.J. was informed of Nicole's death and subsequently questioned by the LAPD for three hours. On June 17, O.J. was charged with two counts of murder and declared a fugitive. The infamous high-speed chase involving police and O.J.'s white Ford Bronco ended at his home in Brentwood, Calif.

One of the most publicized trials in U.S. history followed. O.J. was represented by a high-profile defense team, known as the "Dream Team," which included Robert Shapiro, Johnnie Cochran, and Alan Dershowitz. The prosecution was led by Deputy District Attorneys Marcia Clark and William Hodgman. The defense team argued that there was reasonable doubt concerning the validity of the state's DNA evidence, and the jury ultimately acquitted O.J. on October 3, 1995. No other suspects have been questioned, and the murders of Nicole and Ronald remain unsolved.